8.08.2009

The Practice of the Presence of God

Brother Lawrence gives us an example of what it is to "pray without ceasing." This book is a real challenge -- an invitation, even -- to pray and to spend your entire day contemplating God. The end result of such a spiritual discipline is a kind of ecstasy, as the Christian realizes the glory of God. The Christian who practices the presence of God seeks to honor God in every task, whether it be washing dishes or going away for a quiet time of prayer. Brother Lawrence made no distinction between the two:

"The time of business does not with me differ from the time of prayer; and in the noise and clutter of my kitchen, while several persons are at the same time calling for different things, I possess God in as great tranquility as if I were upon my knees at the Blessed Sacrament."

No comments: